- 63 per cent of the global population use toilets and other improved sanitation facilities.
- Since 1990 1.8 billion people gained access to improved sanitation.
- 2.5 billion people lack improved sanitation
- 1.1 billion people (15 per cent of the global population) practice open defecation.
- 949 million open defectors live in rural areas.
Countries, according to WHO, that account for almost three-quarters of the people who practice open defecation:
- India (626 million)
- Indonesia (63 million)
- Pakistan (40 million)
- Ethiopia (38 million)
- Nigeria (34 million)
- Sudan (19 million)
- Nepal (15 million)
- China (14 million)
- Niger (12 million)
- Burkina Faso (9.7 million)
- Mozambique (9.5 million)
- Cambodia (8.6 million)